Makes 1 10″ pie
4 C kale, chiffonade (cut into thin ribbons)
1 red onion, medium dice
1 C ricotta (+50 g feta, optional)
Sea salt, to taste
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
6 leaves fillo dough
½ C EVOO
1 egg, beaten
3 T Greek yogurt
1 t black sesame seeds
1. Saute onions in 1 T olive oil until soft and translucent. Add kale and saute until wilted.
2. Add ricotta and feta if using, salt and pepper to taste.
3. Brush a pie pan with olive oil and lay first fillo leaf inside, kind of messy and with the sides hanging out over the pan. Brush with oil and repeat with 2 more fillo leaves. (Lay each consecutive leaf perpendicular to the last to create enough flaps to cover the pie.)
4. Add filling to pie pan and begin to fold over the fillo leaves. Brush with olive oil and messily add 2-3 more fillo leaves to the top of the pie, brushing each with olive oil except for the last leaf.
5. In a small bowl, beat the egg and yogurt and 1 T of olive oil. Add a pinch of salt.
6. With a paring knife, make slits into the pie, at least ½ way down, but be sure not to score the bottom of the pie.
7. Add egg/yogurt mixture and thoroughly spread around top and sides. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
8. Bake in oven at 200°C (about 390°F) for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to 150°C (about 300°F) and bake for 25-30 minutes.