Pumpkins make me happy. They especially make my daughters happy. When they're little and just starting to eat, I cut these up into tiny pieces and add some seasonal fruit, such as diced apple (see pic below). They just gobble it up. Don't forget to make an extra batch to freeze. They're perfect out of the oven on a cool autumn morning :)
Makes 12 waffles
1 1/2 C whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 C rolled oats
2 T coconut sugar
2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t ground ginger
1/2 t freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 t ground cardamom
a pinch of sea salt
1 C milk (or buttermilk if you have it!) – Any nut milk will also work well here.
3 large eggs, at room temperature*
1 C fresh pumpkin puree
2 T coconut oil
1 t vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 180° (to keep waffles warm) and prepare your waffle iron.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and soda, spices and salt. Whisk to blend well.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, pumpkin puree, coconut oil and vanilla.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and stir gently until you reach a smooth batter.
5. Lightly grease your waffle iron with some coconut oil (or butter if you’re going in that other yummy direction) and add about 1/4- 1/3 cup of batter and spread it to the corners. Close the lid and let waffles cook until they’re golden brown, until the light on your waffle iron goes off, or roughly about 3-4 minutes! (It’s best to follow the directions for your specific waffle iron.)
6. Put waffles in the oven to keep warm while you repeat the process.
7. Top the waffles with spiced fruit, maple syrup, whipped cream (or whipped coconut cream) or have some over easy eggs with them.
*If you have the time and are so inclined, separate the eggs and whisk the yolks with the other wet ingredients. Beat the egg whites with an electric hand mixer (or whisk if you’re brave!) until soft peaks form. After you mix the egg yolk/pumpkin mixture with the flour mixture and get the smooth batter, fold in the egg whites. You’ll get a fluffier waffle!