1C quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
2C water or vegetable stock
1 medium bell pepper (any color), diced
2 scallions, finely chopped
2T cilantro, finely chopped
(I LOVE cilantro, but if you’re not a fan, parsley or mint work nicely, too)
1/4 C shelled pistachios
1/4 C dried cranberries
Zest of 1 lemon
1/4 C Extra-virgin olive oil (cold pressed)
1/4 C fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt and fresh grated pepper, to taste
1 Haas avocado (if using)
1. Put quinoa, water/stock and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once at a boil, reduce to simmer and cover. Quinoa will be done in about 15 minutes. Water should be absorbed and quinoa should look fluffy.
2. Spread cooked quinoa on a baking sheet to cool.
3. Mix zest, lemon juice and olive oil with salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly. Taste for salt/pepper.
4. Mix quinoa together with the pepper, scallions, cilantro, pistachios and cranberries. Add dressing and toss together.
5. If possible, refrigerate before serving. Flavors intensify after a day!
6. If topping with avocado, simply slice, spritz some fresh lemon juice, sprinkle some salt and add some more herbs. Easy lunch for when you don’t have much time to spend in the kitchen!
*Though it’s often referred to as a grain, quinoa is actually a seed and a relative of leafy green vegetables such as spinach and Swiss chard!