(AKA caffeine-free Chai)
Yields 8 Cups
8 C water
2 T cardamom pods
3 cinnamon sticks
10 black peppercorns
3 star anise
8 whole cloves
3 T coriander seeds
2 T freshly squeezed ginger juice (or 2 T minced fresh ginger in a sachet)
3 T maple syrup
1 3-inch piece of vanilla bean or 2 t vanilla extract
1 C milk (or non-dairy milk)
1. Bring water and all spices to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Add vanilla bean or extract then, covered, let spices steep for 15 minutes. Then, return to a boil and promptly remove from heat.
3. Strain and discard spices. Let tea cool to room temperature and then refrigerate. Unless you’re having a cup immediately, then prepare as per instructions below, or to taste!
1. While tea is settling, bring 3/4 C of milk (dairy or non-dairy) to a simmer and add to tea.
2. Add 3 T maple syrup.
3. Serve in individual cups and ENJOY!