Cheesy Mac & Cheese with Peas
You might wonder why you would make mac & cheese from scratch, particularly when there are so many readily available, easier options. But trust me, this doesn't involve that much more work and the creamy, cheesy results are SO good, you won't want to go back to easy, powdered (ultra-processed cheese).
250 g pasta (about half a pound)
1/2 C peas (fresh or frozen)
2 T organic, grass-fed (if you have it) butter
2 T spelt or whole wheat flour
1/2 C whole milk (organic)
3 T full fat natural yogurt
100 g shredded mature cheddar cheese (about 1C)
1. Cook pasta according to instructions on box. Add the peas to the cooking pasta in the last minute of cooking.
2. Drain the pasta when it's done and add the butter to the same saucepan over medium-low heat. Once melted, add the flour and stir for 3 minutes. This is the roux. (Many will say to skip this step, and indeed you can, but the creaminess factor gets upped a notch or two with the roux.)
3. Add the milk to the roux and stir. It will get thick and creamy quickly.
4. Add the yogurt (this is for tang as much as for probiotics ;) )
5. Add the grated cheddar and be amazed at your beautiful cheese sauce.
6. Once it's all creamy and gooey and amazing, add the pasta and stir to coat.
7. Serve immediately or store in lunch containers for the kids. (Sidenote: you will get popular with this one.)