Makes about 10 (1/4c) pancakes
1 C organic spelt flour*
1/4 C organic coconut flour
1/4 C unsweetened shredded coconut
(or dessicated coconut for my new UK and AUS friends :) )
2 T coconut (or date) sugar
2 t baking powder
Pinch of sea salt
3 medium eggs (I used farm fresh eggs which are typically smaller,
so 2 large eggs would probably be OK, too)
1 1/4 C organic whole milk
3 T coconut oil or melted butter (organic of course!)
1 t vanilla extract
1 C organic blueberries + more for garnish
1. In a large bowl, mix flours, shredded coconut, sugar and baking powder. Combine well.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, salt, milk, coconut oil (or butter) and vanilla.
3. Add wet ingredients into dry (make a little well in the dry ingredients to incorporate evenly and prevent too many lumps) and mix just to combine. Resist the urge to over mix! The batter will be slightly thicker than you're used to because of the coconut flour. Don't worry. It'll even out when cooking.
4. Add blueberries and stir again, gently.
5. Heat a cast iron griddle over medium heat and melt some butter. Using a 1/4C measuring cup, pour the batter into the pan and cook for 3-4minutes or until golden brown. Flip pancake over, gently! Resist the urge to press on the pancake! It will cook evenly and quickly without any tampering. ;)
6. Keep pancakes warm in the oven until ready to serve.
7. Serve with a dollop of yogurt, a few fresh blueberries and your favorite sweetener such as maple syrup, date syrup or honey.